The Role of a Reproductive Endocrinologist

Jennifer "Jay" Palumbo

IVF mom of two and infertility advocate

Whether you’ve been diagnosed with infertility or have other obstacles standing between you and expanding your family, your path to parenthood will often entail finding a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) along the way. A reproductive endocrinologist is a particular doctor who can help in all things fertility-related. If you have just started trying to conceive, know you need IVF, or are pursuing working with a gestational carrier, it’s vital to find an RE you feel comfortable with that can advise you of all of your options. Below, we’re going to unpack what an RE is and how they can help you!

What is a Reproductive Endocrinologist?

An obstetrics and gynecologist (OB/GYN) and urologist can provide a high-level overview of your reproductive health to women and men, respectively. However, when it comes to fertility and family building, you need to see a reproductive endocrinologist. An RE is a fertility specialist who has received a board certification by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. RE’s specialize in reproductive organs, how to accurately diagnose any fertility issues, design an appropriate treatment protocol, and can educate you on the latest fertility technology such as in vitro fertilization (IVF), genetic testing, and more.

When Should I See A Reproductive Endocrinologist?

There are several different reasons to consult with an RE. Here is a list of the main ones:

  • If you have a known fertility issue
  • You are a woman under 35 years old who has been trying to conceive for more than a year
  • You are a woman over 35 years old who has been trying to conceive for more than six months
  • Women 40 years old or older
  • Couples in a same-sex relationship
  • Couples in which either the male or female has a known medical issue such as a polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, diminished ovarian reserve or in the men’s case, a concern with their sperm (low sperm count, etc.)
  • Women who have a history of pregnancy loss
  • You want to pursue fertility preservation
  • You want to learn more about your future family options to prepare now

What is the Role of an RE in My Family Building?

A reproductive endocrinologist can perform a fertility workup and assess your overall reproductive health. Once an evaluation is complete, an RE will review the results with you and advise you on how to proceed. If diagnosed with a specific condition, they may treat it first before trying any assisted reproductive technologies. This can include medication like Clomid or a surgical procedure like a laparoscopy.

Depending on your diagnosis, they can explain all of your options that will give you your best chances at resulting in a healthy baby. This includes assisted reproductive techniques like intrauterine insemination, in vitro fertilization, donor eggs, gestational carrier, etc.)


Now that you better understand what a reproductive endocrinologist is and how they can help you, we encourage you to find a fertility provider you feel comfortable with. As always, GoStork wants to help guide you on your journey to baby. Please visit their Resources Page to learn more.